Monday, June 25, 2007

Let's Talk About Rap, Baby

I don't normally do this kind of cross-promoting thing in the blog, but I have decided to allow it in this instance since the subject is one near and dear to my heart: old school rap music. If you have any interest in the subject at all, are knowledgeable or hope to become knowledgeable about it, I implore you to check out and engage in the tournament going on at the philaflava.com forum dedicated to the golden age of rap music, T.R.O.Y.

I listened to rap as a kid, but didn't really get into the old school until I was in my early twenties. Even though I grew up in Queens, I didn't have a lot of exposure to the music. Like many of my white peers, my love affair with rap began in 1988, when It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, The Adventures of Slick Rick, and Yo! MTV Raps came out. Still, I remember a few rap joints playing on mainstream radio as a young kid, most notably "Jam On It" by Newcleus.

Anyway, I could go on at length about the subject, and I may do so in the future. But for now, please head on over to the philaflava.com forums and see what's what with this tournament. It's not a big hassle to register (for me, anyway), so don't be afraid to wade right in and start asserting your rap prowess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Copyright © 2008 Reggie Hassenblatt. A NOW Crew Hilarity, All Rights Reserved. | Email reggie@reggiemail.yup