Friday, November 09, 2007

I did my part

Most people are satisfied to go with the flow. They never make waves. They never offend anyone. Most people would rather do the easy thing than to do the right thing. Not me, though. I believe that anything worth doing is probably going to be difficult. It might not make you any friends. Your actions might be detested at first. But if you’re morally right, you’ll be vindicated in the long run. That’s what I believe, anyway. This is why I did not hesitate to correct my grandmother when she used the phrase “colored guy” during last Sunday’s dinner.

I remember it clearly: grandma was talking about a recent trip to the bank, and said she struck up a conversation with the fellow behind her in line. Without reason or provocation, she casually mentioned that he was a “colored guy.” I dropped my fork, still loaded with mashed potatoes. The entire family turned their heads towards me, alarmed by the clash of silverware on china. I stared at my grandmother, who stopped her story mid-sentence, for a full minute. Then I declared, “Grandma, it isn’t ‘colored guy.’ No one says ‘colored’ anymore. The phrase is ‘African-American.’” I sat back in my chair and folded my arms, pleased with my admonishing but necessary blurt of truth. I felt as if the spirits of Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X were standing behind me, nodding in approval. The family went back to eating and my grandmother continued her story, but I know my words were heeded because my grandma didn’t mention this gentleman’s ethnic or racial affiliation for the rest of the evening.

This isn’t the first time I have taken steps to quell racism. I recall another time, when I was in the candy store with Ralph, captain of our school’s basketball team. He just happens to be African-American. A store employee, who just happens to be Asian, was hanging around Ralph and eyeing him closely. I strode right up to this Asian person and, loudly enough for Ralph to hear, explained how unfair it was to shadow Ralph just because his skin shade is darker. I defined the term “racial profiling” and said it was more than immoral, it’s unlawful, and Ralph could sue the establishment for harassment. It turns out that the Asian guy wasn’t an employee at all, but a friend of Ralph’s. But I think I made my point that day. I certainly gave them all something to think about.

I feel it is my duty to expose and condemn racism wherever I see it. I may have only been on this planet for sixteen years, but I know racism is wrong, and I know it’s up to my generation to put an end to it. That’s why, as shameful as it might be, I have no compunction about putting members of my own family in their place if they show themselves to be racist. We’ve all got to pitch in and do what we can to make the world a better place to live. Otherwise, it will continue to be run by corrupt Mick cops and Dago politicians.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Copyright © 2008 Reggie Hassenblatt. A NOW Crew Hilarity, All Rights Reserved. | Email reggie@reggiemail.yup