Tuesday, July 18, 2006

It's no one's fault but my own

Once, I was the envy of my peers and co-workers. I lorded over an empire of office supplies and letterhead stationery which was a topic of conversation, even in the Mighty Stock Room, from where most office supplies are derived. I never personally visited the Mighty Stock Room; I didn't need to. I burned that bridge when I laughed at the Mighty Stock Room employee as he tried to give me new Post-It Notes with the company website url printed on them. "Me?" I exclaimed, exasperated, "Young boy, I have enough Post-It Notes to affix to four sets of the Encyclopedia Britannica, without repeating color, size, or density!" I dismissed him with a cruel chuckle and a blithe wave of my hand. But I fear that my once-lofty empire is crumbling, and surely no one will help me back to where I once was. Amazingly, even though I had an entire filing cabinet drawer full of them at one time, I have completely run out of Medium Binder Clips.
This is a serious matter. It is not like when I ran out of pink, lined 3 x 5 index cards because I used my entire stock to create question cards for the mock game show at our annual company picnic. If anything, that was an mighty display of my hoarded office supplies, demonstrating that it is nothing for me to absorb two or even three packs of pink, lined 3 x 5 index cards, for I still have an admirable quantity in white, yellow and blue. I know it made more than one assistant jealous, considering that they actually use the cards for work purposes. Janie Salza from marketing even had the gall to ask me for some index cards a while back, in preparation for some project. I callously told her the Mighty Stock Room hours and sent her dejectedly on her way. You think she's going to give me any Medium Binder Clips now that I am in dire straits? Not a chance. In fact, if she catches wind of my office supply misstep, it will surely ruin my reptuation. But I can't hide my loss forever. I need my Medium Binder Clips.
Everyone knows that I like to affix ZIP disks to pertinent purchase orders using said Medium Binder Clips. Everyone knows this. And seeing as how I send out roughly a dozen or so purchase orders per day, it was clear that my supply would eventually expire. I didn't think. I should have kept better track of my incoming and outgoing Medium Clip Binders before the situation became so dire. I should have forseen this problem and either subtly worked Large Clip Binders or rubber bands into the mix to save myself some embarassment. And I certainly should not have told Kenneth Hottentot in research and development that I wouldn't give him a Medium Binder Clip to "secure a gushing neck artery." Well, now the artery of my office supply cache is hemmoraging, and certainly none will offer a Medium Binder Clip now.
If I am ever allowed to amass an impenetrable fortress of office supplies again, things will be different. I have learned my lesson. I will share any spare supplies to a degree based on how much I need them to complete my work and how necessary they are to the lendee. For example, I still wouldn't part with many Medium Binder Clips if I get a quantity back in the future. I need them. But I could certainly part with an unlimited supply of Small Binder Clips, which I barely use. I definitely wouldn't show off my case of Scotch Tape rolls to the intern and then shut and lock my personal supply closet in a smug act of vanity. Office supplies are a privelege, not a right, and part of that privelege is predicated on the notion that they will be used for the common good, and not for personal aspirations. I know that now. And if I am ever able to secure a quantity of Medium Binder Clips again, I swear I will apply this wisdom to the workplace.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this really desreves a comment.
lol or something like that.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Copyright © 2008 Reggie Hassenblatt. A NOW Crew Hilarity, All Rights Reserved. | Email reggie@reggiemail.yup