Sunday, January 14, 2007

Perhaps I overstated the importance of my hip-hop "movement"

I admit it, I was being a bit hyperbolic about my hip-hop "movement" and the change it would effect within the music industry and society as a whole. It was an overblown attempt to garner more interest in my music. Part of being a rapper is projecting arrogance, but I've learned that being arrogant doesn't mean being obstinate. I've also learned that if you're going to claim to have a movement, then it's got to have a lot more substance than over-sized t-shirts and claims of personal wealth.
Live and learn, right? You'll never know how sorry I am to have involved so many innocent people in this wayward publicity stunt. When I asked you to ride or die for my rap movement, I assumed you knew that I meant I just wanted you to hang out and smoke blunts with me. Come to my shows, help loading and unloading the equipment, maybe work the merch table for a little bit. I certainly didn't expect you to start proselytizing about my movement or to declare war on other rap movements around the country. I definitely didn't expect you to engage in so many violent gun battles over the issue. When I asked you to ride or die, I should have said that the emphasis was on the riding part.
I suppose that I should be proud that I project such authority, I can get people to align with me so readily. I just wish it was over something like world peace or curbing drug abuse, rather than convincing someone to spit a hot sixteen bars on my mixtape for free. When the governor called me to ask for advice on welfare reform, I knew I had pushed things too far. I could have ended it there, I could have said, "Sorry, Mr. Governor, but my movement is not politically-based, and it only has anything to do with selling records." But I didn't do that. I told him that he should distribute several Streetz iz Skwawkin' promotional t-shirts to welfare recipients as a show of good faith. I didn't realize this would mean they would have to cut out WIC assistance.
Well, I made my bed, and now I'm going to have to lie in it. I've been unanimously installed as the leader of the free world, and I wish I could be more prideful about it. But quite honestly, I am scared out of my wits. I don't know if my rap movement is going to translate very well overseas, where English isn't the primary language. And from what my advisors tell me, some of those countries are pretty pissed off at America. I'm kind of wishing I didn't cut Mr. Skolbrick's Social Studies class every day of my high school's junior year about now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Piff Tannen said...

haha, that was dope, im mad i missed it before!

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Copyright © 2008 Reggie Hassenblatt. A NOW Crew Hilarity, All Rights Reserved. | Email reggie@reggiemail.yup